The Mt. Pleasant Discovery Museum’s Youth Advisory Board, otherwise known as YAB, has been leading the way in exhibit concepts for the museum since 2009. It is a group of visionary children, grades 3rd-12th, who meet at the museum once a month to discuss exhibits, fundraisers, events, and everything museum related. As you can imagine, we get some pretty good ideas out of that group of kids! The YAB was created in 2009 during the museum’s Capital Campaign. The concept being that a children’s museum should have input from its primary audience; children! Since we opened our doors in 2012, the YAB’s focus has shifted more toward fundraising. The YAB hosts events such as Glow Night, Winter Wonderland, and the Costume Contest that have seen astounding successes for our museum. The YAB raised over $2,000 for the museum in 2013!
In addition to all the hard work we put in at the museum, we also do many fun things. Here is a list of YAB highlights from the past 5 years:
- Research trip to the Grand Rapids Children’s Museum
- Game Night at the Discovery Museum
- On-Air radio interviews with 104.3 WCZY and 95.3 WCFX
- Newspaper interviews with the Morning Sun and CMLife
- Collaborating with CMU art students to install new exhibits
- Research trip to Lansing’s Impression 5 where we saw Bill Nye the Science Guy Live!
- Collected over 200lbs of food for the Soup Kitchen
- Brainstormed and created the name for our outdoor exhibit space
….and much more!
Youth Advisory Board members not only offer us their expertise, ideas, and hard work, they also gain invaluable experience working as a group and contributing to something larger than anyone imagined. If you or your child are interested in joining the YAB, please contact Education Coordinator, Jerica Starr, at email@example.com. Applications to become a youth advisory board member are also available at the museum’s front desk.